Optimizing Fixed Public Transport Network
How Can We Help?
Head of Department, Smart MobilityT: +358 40735 8885
How it works?
- The trunk lines that should clearly be fixed under all circumstances (e.g. rail, tram) are identified.
- An initial public transport fixed line network is generated using car and public transport trips.
- The generated network is refined utilizing the mode choice model to validate demand for public transport.
- Service areas (and operating modes) of on-demand transportation are defined.
- Demand forecast for all travel modes is generated.
JULIUS™ helps public transport planners to find optimal roles for fixed public transport lines and on-demand services
Julius helps identifying fixed line segments of the public transport network where that type of service has a feasible amount of passenger demand. Low ridership segments, areas and/or times are typically served more efficiently by on-demand services. The need for on-demand services is expected to increase due to the aging population and the increased importance given to equity and quality-of-life issues.
On-demand services not only potentially replace inefficient fixed lines, but feed passengers to trunk services and remaining fixed lines. Focusing on the healthy line segments enables improving the service level and economical sustainability.
Fixed public transport network optimization uses a base data to evaluate demand for fixed and on-demand services. Typically, we use our agent-based simulation model Brutus to create this base demand based on spatiotemporal characteristics of the local demand, local preconditions and modal characteristics.
After identifying the potential on-demand services, our experts can assist analyzing in details the viability of the on-demand service and selecting the most efficient operational mode (fixed line on-demand, flexible line with route deviations on-demand, free-floating many-to-many either door-to-door or stop-to-stop).
The need for on-demand services is expected to increase due to the aging population and the increased importance given to equity and quality-of-life issues.
Explore our digital mobility solutions: