The substances are listed in REACH Annex XIV because of “equivalent level of concern due to its degradation to a substance with endocrine disrupting properties”. They are constituents in certain two-part polysulfide sealants that are critical to the AD industry. Both substances have a Sunset Date of 4 January 2021.
EAAC, assisted by Ramboll, has prepared AfAs, requesting a 4-year review period, for the substances and uses described below:
Annex XIV Entry No. 42: 4-(1,1,3,3-tetramethyl butyl)phenol, ethoxylated (OPE)
- Use 1: The formulation of a hardener component containing OPE within Aerospace and Defence (A&D) two-part polysulfide sealants.
- Use 2: Mixing, by Aerospace and Defence (A&D) Companies and their associated supply chains, including the Applicants, of base polysulfide sealant components with OPE-containing hardener, resulting in mixtures containing < 0.1% w/w of OPE for Aerospace and Defence (A&D) uses that are exempt from authorisation under REACH Art. 56(6)(a).
- EAAC Applicants: PPG, Boeing Distribution, Inc. (formerly Aviall Services Inc.), Wesco Aircraft
Annex XIV Entry No. 43: 4-Nonylphenol, branched and linear, ethoxylated (NPE)
- Use 1: The formulation of a hardener component containing NPE in Aerospace two-part polysulfide sealants.
- Use 2: Mixing, by Aerospace Companies and their associated supply chains, including the Applicant, of base polysulfide sealant components with NPE-containing hardener, resulting in mixtures containing < 0.1% w/w of NPE for Aerospace uses that are exempt from authorisation under REACH Art. 56(6)(a).
- EAAC Applicant: Chemetall
The AfA were duly submitted by EAAC applicants ahead of the Latest Application Date (LAD) of 4 July 2019.
Due to capacity constraints at ECHA, the processing of the EAAC AfAs was delayed and current timing communicated by ECHA indicates public consultation for the AfAs is expected to commence 13 May 2020.
We will keep this website updated with relevant information as the application proceeds.1 Aerospace uses covered for both NPE- and OPE-containing 2-part polysulfide sealants
2 Defence uses covered only for OPE-containing 2-part polysulfide sealants
3 Annex XIV (i.e., the Authorisation List) specifies for each listed substance the “Sunset Date” from which the substance cannot be placed on the market for a use or used after this date, unless an Authorisation is granted for that use or an Application for Authorisation has been submitted for that use before the LAD.
- PRESS RELEASE Ethoxylates in Aerospace Authorisation Consortium (EAAC) to be formed to address REACH Authorisation of Nonyl- and Octyl-Phenol Ethoxylates (8 May 2018)
- EAAC Aerospace & Defence Industry Bulletin No. 2019-01
- EAAC Aerospace & Defence Industry Bulletin No. 2019-02