Global Chromates Consortium for Aerospace (GCCA)
The Global Chromates Consortium for Aerospace (GCCA) was formed in 2015 to prepare and submit applications for Authorisation under the European REACH Regulation for hexavalent chromium substances that are critical to the aerospace, defence and aeroderivative sectors but are sourced through supply chains that are not covered by other Applications for Authorisation (AfAs).
Webinar: Preparing for imminent REACH authorisations, 25 November 2019
GCCA is hosting an informational webinar regarding the European Commission approval of four of the six REACH Authorisations sponsored by GCCA. The webinar will help downstream users understand how these authorisations fit into the universe of aerospace and defense authorisation applications and relevant requirements, as well as the schedule for compliance. Date: Tuesday, 25 November 2019, 9:00 am EST / 2:00 pm GMT / 3:00 pm CET. Please contact Dianne Koch Green (email@example.com) to register.
Principal ConsultantT: +1 513 563 3542
PrincipalT: +44 1132 457 552
On 9–10 July 2019, the European Commission voted to approve the REACH authorisations sponsored by the Global Chromates Consortium for Aerospace (GCCA) covering use of chromium trioxide, sodium chromate, potassium dichromate and sodium dichromate containing products imported into the EEA for aerospace and defence use, granting a 7-year review period from the Sunset Date of 21 September 2017.
The authorisations for Chromium trioxide and Sodium chromate entered into force (‘date of adoption’) in the EU (and wider EEA) on 29 October 2019 and the authorisations for Potassium dichromate and Sodium dichromate are expected to closely follow. This will start the clock ticking on a number of actions that will need to be taken by downstream users. More information can be found in the GCCA News Bulletin No. 2019-01 and 2019-02 and below. Further information will be provided here shortly.
GCCA has prepared AfAs for the following hexavalent chromium substances/use(s)/ applicant(s)/authorisation holder(s).
Chromium trioxide1 (CAS No 1333-82-0/EC No 215-607-8)
- Use: Chemical conversion and slurry coating applications by the aerospace sector2, where any of the following key functionalities or properties is necessary for the intended use: corrosion resistance, active corrosion inhibition, adhesion promotion and reproducibility (for chemical conversion coating), corrosion protection, heat resilience, hot corrosion resistance, resistance to humidity and hot water, thermal shock resistance, adhesion and flexibility (for slurry coating)3
- Authorisation Holder: Wesco Aircraft
- Related Links:
Sodium chromate (CAS No 7775-11-3/EC No 231-889-5)
1. Formulation of mixtures for sealing after anodizing, chemical conversion coating, pickling and etching applications by the aerospace sector.
2. Sealing after anodizing, chemical conversion coating, pickling and etching applications by the aerospace sector, where any of the following key functionalities or properties is necessary for the intended use: for the pickling/etching process - etch rate, intergranular attack/end grain pitting, surface contamination, fatigue testing, tensile testing, surface roughness, impact to shot peen compressive layer; and for the chemical conversion coating and sealing after anodising process - corrosion resistance, active corrosion inhibition, adhesion promotion, chemical resistance, layer thickness, electrical properties4
- Authorisation holder: Boeing Distribution, Inc. (formerly Aviall Services Inc5) and Wesco Aircraft
Potassium dichromate (CAS Nos 7775-11-3/EC No 231-906-6)
Use: Sealing after anodizing applications by the aerospace sector, where the key functionalities of corrosion resistance or corrosion inhibition are necessary for the intended use6
Authorisation holder: Wesco Aircraft
Use: Sealing after anodizing applications by the aerospace sector, where the key functionalities of corrosion resistance or corrosion inhibition are necessary for the intended use7
Authorisation holder: Wesco Aircraft
Use: Use of dichromium (tris)chromate for chemical conversion coating applications by aerospace and defence companies and their associated supply chains
Use: Use of strontium chromate in primers applied by aerospace and defence companies and their associated supply chains
Applicant: Wesco; PPG; and Cytec
Application ID 0117-01
Related DocumentsPRESS RELEASE: RAC and SEAC Draft Opinions on applied for REACH authorisations of certain uses of Chromium trioxide, Sodium chromate, Potassium dichromate and Sodium dichromate in the aerospace industries (5 September 2017)
PRESS RELEASE: Applications for REACH authorisations of certain uses of Dichromium (tris)chromate and Strontium chromate in the aerospace industries – public consultation (5 September 2017)